Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tip 46: Tupperware organization ideas

Like you, I hate dealing with Tupperware containers. (For the purpose of this blog, I will use Tupperware the way many people use Kleenex or Xerox; I don't actually own any official Tupperware, but I don't see the point in writing "plastic food storage containers" a thousand times.)

They take up a lot of space.

Where's that lid?!

I do not have a magical solution, but I do have a couple ideas.

Tip 46: Using the Tupperware you currently own, use a Sharpie to label matching containers and lids either by number or by color.

If you're like us, you have a bunch of Ziploc-brand containers where several containers appear mostly identical in size, but then they're either a little too wide or a little too narrow to fit the lid you think should go with them. Labeling all containers of one size with a number 1 (or a red Sharpie dot), and then finding all corresponding lids and labeling them with a number 1 (or red Sharpie dot) might save you some time when you're cleaning up from dinner or packing your lunch. Of course, be sure to label on the outside of the containers and not anywhere that food will touch.

As you go through your Tupperware, this may be a good time to recycle any lid-less containers. I know we have a few.

Now I need to get something to organize the lids so they can stay grouped together. Apparently there are lots of choices on Amazon, but I'll see if I can find something in person. If you have a suggestion, leave a comment!

Potential products:
Maybe, though, you are some fortunate enough to just be embarking on the land of Tupperware containers, in which case you can test drive some of these products. I do not own these products, but I've heard and read some positive reviews.

My cousin Melissa says she fell in love with these Sterlite color-coded containers she bought recently. She says, "If the container has a blue rim, the lid to fit is also blue -- it's absolutely genius! I found mine at Walmart -- maybe 20 bucks, but well worth every single penny! You don't have to dig around to find the lid that fits that exact random container... if it's green, you look for green and there you have it :)" Seems like a nice product! Thanks, Melissa!

Rubbermaid also has its line of Easy Find Lids products. I was pleasantly surprised to read that these products, along with many Rubbermaid makes, are BPA free.


Anyone have any more recommendations for specific products? Or do you have a nifty DIY solution?

As you get ready to organize your Tupperware, let me know if you have a lid organization product that you love!

2 comments:

  1. I have Rubbermaid's Easy Find Lids, and absolutely love them. I have had them for more than a year, and my tupperware cabinet has stayed orderly since the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ashley! I'm glad to get some feedback on those. When it's time to replace some of our current pieces, that will be good to know.

    ReplyDelete