What lurks behind the fridge can be scary, but so can what's in the back of your closet, or under a rug, or in your laundry room. Let's talk about intensive spring vacuuming!
Now that our vacuum cleaner has been nursed back to health and is ready to take on the world, we thought we would put it to good use. Most importantly, we needed to follow...
Tip 42: Using your vacuum cleaner's most narrow attachment, vacuum out your refrigerator coils to keep your fridge running as efficiently as possible.
Home repair experts might recommend going through this procedure twice a year. For me, it's plenty impressive to do this once a year. We definitely clean behind our fridge more than once a year, but getting into those coils is another story. Perhaps putting this in writing will encourage me to do another refrigerator coil cleaning session in the fall.
Here's exhibit A for why you should clean your coils. It's just gross:
Before we started our intense vacuuming around the house, we:
1) Gave each dog a bath.
2) Took the dogs for a long walk.
3) Did a thorough Furmination session.
The dogs are shedding a lot lately, most likely because they're starting to lose their winter coats. We wanted to start with clean dogs to keep our house cleaner longer.
1) Washed the dog's bed covers.
2) Washed all the bathroom rugs in the house. This is partially because the dogs got them dirty in the process of taking baths, but also because we want all floors to be clean.
Then, after a thorough yet otherwise routine vacuuming of the house, we got down to the nitty gritty:
1) The aforementioned behind-the-fridge experience
2) In all the nooks and crannies in closets, especially our master closet, the largest and most-used closet in the house. We took all items that touch the ground out of the closet and cleaned with the vacuum cleaner attachment.
3) In the laundry room, the forgotten step child of all cleaning routines
4) Behind furniture, particularly furniture up against walls in high-traffic areas, including behind our bed and nightstands:
Eat your heart out, ladies; my man wields a vacuum.
Next up...the reward for spring cleaning? Amazing popcorn!