Monday, April 12, 2010

Recipe tip: Blue cheese dip

Today marked a relatively crappy start to what will likely be a crappy week. I know, depressing, right? I come across as chipper in this blog because, despite everything in my upbringing that might suggest otherwise, I have beaten the odds and turned into a relatively chipper adult.

And then there are Mondays like this, that lead into Tuesdays like tomorrow, and no one wants that.

Which is when I reach for the blue cheese.

Some people turn to chocolate or other desserts; others seek out traditional comfort foods and favorite family recipes. Me? Blue cheese all the way.

Before I share my favorite recipe of all time, a couple blue-cheese confessions:

1. As a child I only ate salad because some very wise person many generations ago invented blue cheese dressing. I love blue cheese dressing so much that one time when I was in sixth grade and out to dinner with my family I started crying somewhat severely when the waiter broke the news that the restaurant did not serve blue cheese dressing.

2. A couple years ago I started a mission to sample all the blue cheese varieties at my local Wegmans. I got reasonably far. Just this evening as I was picking up my latest blue cheese selection I discovered that I have really gotten off my game as there are a plethora of blue cheeses I have never even sampled, let alone purchased. I have a lot of make-up work ahead.

Now, moving along to the recipe, which fulfills my most important recipe criteria because it:
1) requires few ingredients
2) is incredibly inexpensive to put together
3) requires little time
4) requires practically no cooking skill (Remember, I claim to be organized, not a talented cook.)

It also calls for fresh chives, and another confession is that I grow chives in my herb garden just to include in this recipe. Also, this is a first time I will have used fresh herbs from my garden this spring.

This recipe comes to us from a Williams-Sonoma catalog, which I think makes it the only recipe I've ever found in a catalog. It also holds the distinguished place in my recipe notebook as the first appetizer entry (a notebook that, by the way, just started overflowing the other day and I had to switch to a bigger, sturdier binder).


Blue Cheese Dip
Ingredients:
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 4 oz. blue cheese crumbles
  • Finely chopped chives
  • Ground pepper
  • LOTS of potato chips (my preferred dipping variety are the Wegmans brand original flavor kettle chips)

Directions:
  • In a bowl, beat cream cheese using a hand-held mixer until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  • Add sour cream, and beat into cream cheese until blended, about 30 seconds.
  • Add blue cheese crumbles, and beat until blended, though lumps should still be there.
  • Add chives and fresh ground pepper to taste.
  • Cover bowl and place in fridge. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.

I told you it was easy! It may not look like much, but you are staring at the greatest concoction on Earth.




Here are a couple suggestions:
1. It's OK to add more cream cheese than the recipe calls for, but avoid adding more sour cream. This dip is best when slightly thicker, and I've been disappointed by a more runny dip in the past.

2. The recipe recommends using a tangy blue cheese, such as Point Reyes. I couldn't agree more. This really is the ideal blue cheese for a dip. Unfortunately, tonight the store was out of Point Reyes, so I settled for gorgonzola (a close second).

3. This recipe easily doubles. In fact, I doubled it tonight. And because my husband is lactose intolerant, I will be the only one eating this dip. Feel free to judge. This is my guiltiest pleasure.

4. Plan to take this to a potluck where you know everyone else dislikes blue cheese, that way you get to eat the entire thing yourself and no one will be the wiser.

Now that my 30 minutes of waiting are up, my blue cheese dip (and some more work) is calling my name from the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. I love when you make this dip, it is so good! I can't believe you eat the whole thing by yourself though, haha!

    You've inspired me, I'm going to try it out for Paul's Grad party.

    ReplyDelete