Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tip 7: Organizing your recipes

Maybe you're one of those people who can whip up a recipe out of thin air. A little of this, a little of that, presto! I, on the other hand, cannot, and I have found this effective means of organizing my recipes...

Tip 7: Make your own recipe notebook.

Here's what you need:


Next, you need an organizational system that makes sense for you. My notebook sections are:

  • Drinks
  • Appetizers
  • Soup and salad
  • Sauces and dressings
  • Side dishes
  • Main dishes
  • Pasta
  • Desserts
  • Breakfast
  • Cooking class (for recipes collected at cooking classes...I've taken them at Sur la Table and L'Academie de Cuisine and 2941)
  • Take-out menus

To maximize space and minimize cost, don't forget to put at least two recipes in each sheet protector.

Finally, you have to stay on top of your recipes. Anytime I see anything I like in a magazine or online, or I get a recipe from a friend, I file it away in a little plastic sheet inside my binder. This organizational system works well also when you're trying to plan a weekly dinner menu or you're bringing food to a potluck. Need a dessert? No problem, check the Dessert section!

Next up....food magazine recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment