Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Travel art: plans for the dining room

As our home's second owners we inherited a red dining room attached to our painfully white kitchen. We started our kitchen renovations by adding that slate backsplash we put so much work into, and we spruced up the dining room by slowing adding matching espresso-finish furniture and floating shelves. Now, the red walls are maybe not something I would pick myself, but they are a nice contrast to the attached still-mostly-white kitchen.

Something else that came with our kitchen? Giant bolts. Underneath these frames are giant bolts.


I did not pick the layout of these frames. I simply used these frames to cover up these giant bolts.

When we were getting ready to close on this house, the former owners said they would gladly include their dining room wall art in our deal. We declined; it wasn't our style. So, when we moved in and saw these giant bolts, we realized why they were willing to hand over their art, and we found all our frames that would fit and threw them on the wall. The resulting wall is not terribly awesome and it doesn't show much about our personalities (with the exception of the sign that says "Fresh Pie's," which satisfies Matt's love for pie and my love for grammatical mistakes).

So, my idea while in Europe is to take photos that could fill these frames. I'd also like to add bigger frames, or add more frames in general.

What kinds of photos would I like to see in these frames? Ideally, photos of colorful European kitchens. How can I realistically get these photos? I really have no idea, but I will be on the lookout. If nothing else, I'd love to snap some food-related photos, since that seems appropriate for the dining room.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS IDEA! (So much that it warrants all caps.) Can't wait to see what you are able to come up with.

    ReplyDelete