Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tip 60: The up and down rule

We live in a very vertical house with three levels and high ceilings. I love the look, but I also know that not everyone loves stairs, and even someone like me who appreciates the free exercise some everyday stair walking can provide can still find stairs...well, a bit of a chore when handling your chores. Solution?

Tip 60: If you live in a house with multiple levels, help keep it tidy by getting into a habit of putting something back where it belongs each time you ascend or descend the stairs. Try not to move between levels without carrying something with you.



I really don't find stairs bothersome, but I do believe in efficiency ("kill two birds with one stone" being a cliche I can stand behind even though I teach my students to avoid cliches like the plague...ha). So, I try to put cleaning supplies that belong on the second floor under the kitchen sink away when I am heading downstairs to refill my water, or I take out the recycling bin on the second floor to the garage when I'm getting ready to leave the house. It may not be much, but for someone who likes everything in its place, these little straightening strategies can make a serious dent.

Even if you live in a house that's all one level, you can still apply this strategy when moving between different zones in your house.

I know of some people, moms in particular, who have baskets labeled for each level of their house, which helps teach their children to put things back in the right places. This sounds like a good idea, I would just have to think through the logistics on that one. My concern is that my house would get covered in baskets...wouldn't you need a set of baskets on each level of your house? In my case, I would need three baskets upstairs, three in the middle, and three in the basement, and then I'd need to make sure I put the baskets back after each use, essentially negating the purpose of the baskets. Or maybe I am just missing something.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this tip. We are moving from a ranch to a tri-level home and I hadn't yet considered all the up and down-ness of it.

    ReplyDelete