Saturday, June 12, 2010

DIY daily shower cleaner

Back in February, when I wrote about how I use Method Daily Shower Cleaner and was looking for an alternative, reader Samantha suggested using a DIY daily shower cleaner of vinegar, water and tea tree oil.

Last month I finally ran out of my Method cleaner refill, so I bought another spray bottle (not the Home Depot brand spray bottle, which I've noticed stop working after about a week) and got to work. I tried half vinegar, half water, but I thought the solution was too vinegary even after adding some drops of tea tree oil.

You can find tea tree oil in the organic section of your grocery store (along with other essential oils). Yes, they can be pricey, but they last a long time because you only need a couple drops to create a fresh smell.

Then I read on another blog, and now I forget where that was, that another lady uses about 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water, because over time she's discovered that a little vinegar can go a long way.

I have to say, I agree, and I used her solution. Over the last month, my shower has stayed just as clean as it did when I was using the Method cleaner. Plus, a DIY solution is always cheaper and has fewer chemicals, and you know that's something I care about.

Another DIY cleaning product victory!

(In case you're wondering, most of our cleaning products are now DIY. Two I have not given up are our wood floor cleaner and our liquid dishwasher detergent, and I'll write more about those soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment