Friday, June 25, 2010

Recipe tip: Gazpacho

I never liked tomatoes as a child (kind of like how I never liked Brussels sprouts). Then I remember a time at the end of junior year of high school when my friend Sam made me some killer gazpacho, and I was hooked. Then Sam served gazpacho in shot glasses as a passed appetizer at her wedding, and I totally copied her a year later and did the same thing.
 
Got some tomatoes? Try some gazpacho!


So, last week when we had an end-of-year work party and my section of the alphabet was assigned to bring a lunch dish, I opted to beat the heat with this chilled tomato soup. I made so much that I thought I would have plenty for leftovers, but I went home with about half a serving left. I guess it's pretty good!

Turns out this is also the recipe I was looking for when my friend Lindsay asked me for the gazpacho recipe I made for her wedding shower last summer. Sorry, Lindsay, here's the real recipe after all.

Gazpacho
Adapted from the Wegmans menu magazine

1 cucumber, peeled
1 red pepper, ribs and seeds removed
1/2 onion
5 cloves garlic
46 oz vegetable juice -- I used a little less juice and added one more tomato I had already
3 (or 4) tomatoes
1/4-1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
juice of one lime
1 jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed
1/2 cup cilantro
1 tsp kosher salt

1. Chop up the veggies (cucumber, red pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro) enough so they can easily fit in a food processor.

2. Add all veggies to food processor. Pulse until veggies look a little thicker than salsa. (I had to put in half the veggies at a time to accommodate my food processor.)

3. Add the blended veggies to a large bowl. Stir in vegetable juice, lime juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt.

4. Chill gazpacho for at least two hours. Serve cold.

If you do not have a food processor, don't worry! I've also made this recipe in a blender. Technically, the recipe calls for the use of a hand-held blender, but we don't have one of those, and frankly I find a food processor or regular blender a lot easier anyway.

When I first tasted the finished product, before the gazpacho had time to chill, I worried that it was way too garlicky (and I love garlic). But as the gazpacho chilled, the garlic also chilled out, and the gazpacho was outstanding! Enjoy with a margarita or a mojito on your deck on a hot summer night.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Steph! I'm making this tonight. We still have a ton of tomatoes left from the farmers market in PA. As you can see from all my comments today, I'm catching up on your blog from my vacation hiatus!

    ReplyDelete