Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Recipe tip: Brussels sprouts

One day about six months ago, as I was walking through the Wegmans produce section, I stumbled across the Brussels sprouts and thought to myself, "Hmmm, Brussels sprouts, that's something I never ate as a child." For what it's worth, I never had Brussels sprouts sent in my direction when I was a kid, so it's not something I flatly refused to eat like, say, broccoli -- something I still (mostly) hate.



I have to say: I love Brussels sprouts. The roasted variety, especially.

Here's what you do, on a weeknight when you don't feel like putting too much effort into cooking:

Roasted Brussels sprouts
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper.

3. While baking, every 10 minutes shake the baking sheet so that the Brussels sprouts can get evenly crispy around the edges.

4. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the sprouts have a crispy and golden-brown outer layer.



It's really the easiest thing in the world, and the crispiness of the Brussels sprouts coupled with the light saltiness of the seasoning is something delicious disguised as something healthy.

2 comments:

  1. This is also one of my favorite foods:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy frying them up with olive oil and chopped dates -- or better yet, add some bacon...

    ReplyDelete