Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tip 29: Grout, grout everywhere

I hate grout. I understand its purpose, but I ultimately wish it didn't exist because it is notoriously difficult to clean. I have found a decent solution...

Tip 29: Use a homemade paste of castile soap and baking soda to clean your shower grout.

Dealing with grout requires patience, but by applying this paste and waiting for a little bit, you will be rewarded.

Here's what you do:
1) Get a bowl. It does not need to be very big. You are only making enough paste for today's cleaning. A cereal bowl should work!

2) Pour a couple tablespoons of baking soda into the bowl.

3) Pour some castile soap over the baking soda, enough to cover it, maybe about one tablespoon.

4) Mix the baking soda and castile soap together until it forms a paste (think: toothpaste consistency). I use the same brush I'll use to apply the paste to the tile to mix the paste.
 
 

5) Apply the paste to your grout and wait. I suggest about 30 minutes.

6) Rinse the paste from your grout. You might use an old cloth, sponge, paper towel, or maybe just pour some water from the shower onto your tile.

7) If you're not satisfied, try again. You might have some nasty grout issues that require extra TLC. We've all been there.

I only use this grout-paste on the bottom third of my shower. I've noticed that the top portion of my shower doesn't get nearly as dirty and therefore doesn't need the detail work.

I have to admit. I cheat a little. I still use my Method Daily Shower cleaner. I buy the refill bottle at Target and add it to an old spray bottle.

Fortunately, the non-toxic Method product contains few ingredients and no intense smells. Still, I know it's not the greenest, but it does keep the shower pretty clean. Anyone have an even better solution?

(Mortified update: Yesterday right after post my Mortified story I had a real-life mortified experience. Remember how I had to renew my passport? And remember how my old passport contains the world's worst photo? Well, I thought I would never see that again, but I guess I didn't realize I'd be getting my old passport back in the mail. How Mortifying!)

2 comments:

  1. For an everyday shower spray, I use a spray bottle filled 1/2 with water, 1/2 with vinegar and then with a few drops of tea tree oil. The tea tree oil is anti bacterial and helps prevent mildew! It smelled kind of gross at first, but I've gotten used to it and now it smells fresh to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this!! I have been needing to clean my grout.. just keep putting it off! :)

    ReplyDelete