Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tip 30: Hanging necklaces

I am the owner of quite a few pieces of chunky jewelry. I outgrew my little jewelry box fairly quickly. Now my jewelry box that once housed everything only houses my earrings, bracelets, and nicest small necklaces. For chunky jewelry, I follow...

Tip 30: Use a hook system to hang your necklaces on the wall as an artistic, organized display.

The nice thing about jewelry, unlike, say, tube socks, is that it tends to be pretty. I bought a four-hook hanger from Bed Bath and Beyond for $6.99 (if you're browsing in the store, these items are in the closet section). It is intended for hanging sets of keys, but it works perfectly in its new role.

Here's what it looks like:
This display hangs in a corner of our bedroom over a low dresser and next to a large mirror where I get ready each morning. Even though I tend to overlook jewelry at 6 a.m. when I am rushing to make it to work on time, by having my fun jewelry visible it makes me more likely to grab one from a hook. It also forces me to purge my necklaces every once in a while, because there's only so much space and I don't want this display to get more crowded than it already is.

Of course, there are lots of options available for such a display. You could buy separate hooks and stagger them in such a way on the wall to increase the visual interest. You could probably get extra creative and take something like an old wire hanger, sculpt it into a pretty design and hook your necklaces onto it. I've also seen ladies who are fortunate enough to have changing rooms or huge walk-in clothes hang their necklaces in this manner, but tucked away in these changing areas.

Whatever you do, take those big necklaces out of all those boxes (or the random drawer where you've thrown them) and make a piece of functional art!

Next up....let's talk mail! Mail week begins Sunday!

1 comment: