Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Reader question: Online coupon organization

Sam raises a great question in response to my coupon filing post, and it seems particularly timely as we are in the midst of technology week: "What is your system for handling online coupons that you would use online (rather than print and use in store)? Do you use Gmail labels or some other system?"

Actually, I do not have a dedicated system for sorting online coupons. I like Sam's recommendation of Gmail labels. If you use Gmail and haven't gotten into Gmail labels, I highly recommend them. When I am planning a big trip (like the cross country 2008 trip) or an event (like a friend's shower) I make a Gmail label for that topic and sort all related e-mails accordingly.

But, I digress. I don't have a system for organizing online coupons because, quite honestly, most of my purchases are made in stores, unless I am making a purchase on Amazon (still, after all these years, a great one-stop shop). So, what I usually do is archive the e-mail with the coupon in Gmail, and then search for the e-mail if I wind up needing it later on. How did we all manage our e-mail before we could sort it and search it?

(And no, I do not work for Google, though this week it certainly sounds like it! Full disclosure: my brother used to work for Google, but that has little bearing on any of our lives now.)

What about you all? Do you have a system you can recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment