Sunday, January 2, 2011

New year. New attitude. New bag.

We just returned from our annual trip to the beach with friends for New Year's. This year we celebrated with three of my best friends from high school and their fabulous husbands. Along with ringing in the new year in the hot tub after a rousing game of Taboo, we also did some outlet shopping. As we were walking by the Coach outlet, my friend asked me if I had considered buying an expensive purse. I said I am always considering it, but it's impractical, and it's something I would have to devote lots of time to before making a purchase.

Fifteen minutes later, I made the purchase. I found the purse. I knew. I'm a decisive person.

Also, if my best buddies hadn't been with me, I probably wouldn't have bought it. The conversation went something like this:

Friend 1: "Stephanie, that purse is totally your style."

Me: "I know, I have really obvious style. I think I'm really easy to shop for. And that bag is adorable."

Friend 2: "I know this will blow your monthly clothing budget, but you can just buy less clothing to make up for it."

Me: "It's such a splurge."

Friend 3: "Uh, this is not a splurge; this is a deal."

With that, I walked up to the coupon lady standing at the store entrance and asked for the 20 percent off everything in the store coupon I rejected when I walked in.

And I walked out with this.

I love white bags, and the toffee (that's according to the tag) and white combo really did it for me. The top of the bag is cutely ruffled...just a little for visual interest. And the inside is perfect for organizational purposes. My friends also commented on the inside of the bag particularly suiting me. Again, my style is pretty obvious.
At originally $398, I thought the $152 I paid was a good deal. Matt said he can now justify getting an iPad this spring. We'll see. He did just get a new gadget I'll share more about soon. I'll also share my new plan for organizing my new purse soon.

In addition to having a new bag, I've decided that my resolution this year is going to be more all-encompassing than last year's highly practical and specific resolutions of flossing daily (check), Furminating the dogs daily (not so successful there) and starting a blog (here we go year two!). This year's resolution is unoriginal, inspired by the Serenity Prayer: I need to do a better job accepting the things I cannot change. Hopefully learning to follow this advice will help me personally and professionally, though it won't be easy. I know you must be shocked -- Stephanie has problems letting things go? Inconceivable.

One thing that remained the same this year in the midst of all this crazy bag/mantra change is the New Year's celebratory cake. We like to decorate a cake New Year's Eve that highlights the accomplishments of our friends celebrating with us at the beach. I'll let you guess which accomplishment below was ours. Here's a hint.

Here's to new beginnings and new bags in 2011!

2 comments:

  1. Ooo awesome bag!

    I also love your resolution. Accepting that you can't change everything you want is tricky and something I definitely struggle with as well. Look forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Coach bag will be a bargain in the long run. I've had mine since 2008 and not a single thread is wearing on it.

    I use it 70% of the year. It's black. My $30 - $50 purses would be falling apart after 6 months of use.

    A well made classic purse is the way I will go from now on.

    ReplyDelete