Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Reader tip: New year closet organization

Today's post is actually something my friend Dawn told me about many months ago, but with the start of the new year, now seems an appropriate time to share it with you.

Dawn's mom, another super-organized lady, uses this trick in her closets: When she has worn an item, she turns around the item's hanger in the closet. By the end of the season, if a hanger indicates that a clothing item hasn't been worn, she sends the item straight to Goodwill.

This is a great idea! For those of you who are maybe a little more sentimental about your clothing, you can try this modification: if you haven't worn an item in a year, you should put it in the donate pile.

I haven't tried this trick myself because I'm a pretty ruthless closet purger, and I transfer clothes to our guest room dresser (the staging grounds for our big purging pile) on an almost monthly basis. This is, of course, mostly to clear up space to justify making more clothing purchases.

If you're not as ruthless as me, why not take all your closet hangers, organize them facing the same direction, and if by the end of the year you haven't worn something, show you love it by setting it free.

Have you tried Dawn's mom's strategy? Do you have another strategy for keeping your closet clean? If you missed it, you can check out my master closet organization system here.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a useful tip that has kept my mom's closet current and clutter-free - thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete