Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend update

Here are a few quick items of note from this weekend:

1) Rug update -- The West Elm beauty is officially out of the running. It was Matt's favorite, and I was getting pretty excited about it, too, but when we went to see it in person I realized that it is entirely too thin. As an entryway rug, I'm looking for something more substantial that can stand being kicked around. I had visions of the ends of this rug curling upward if it were to get stuck under a door or under feet -- not the greatest "welcome to our home" statement. I'd still love to hear your opinion about the remaining rug choices.

Sorry, buddy, you're out.

2) Missing our herb garden, I thought I would try potting some store-bought herbs and see if they'll last for any substantial length of time.  Have any of you tried this? Was it a success or a flop? Any words of wisdom?

3) In late November I had brewed up another batch of homemade laundry detergent, so I was surprised this weekend when I went to do laundry and was met with a powdery, dry and almost empty bucket of what should have been lots of laundry detergent. The DIY detergent should have lasted until April.

Now I have figured what I did wrong last time: I used only half the required amount of water.

This time I tried two things differently:
  • First of all, after boiling 2 cups of soap in one quart of water and mixing in 2 cups of Borax and 2 cups of washing soda, I simply put the bucket in the sink and ran the water until my 10-quart bucket was nearly full.
  • Secondly, I added hot water to the bucket. When I'd made this before, I had been adding lukewarm water. 


This time the detergent has truly achieved a gel-like consistency that's just a little more chunky than the Tide I used to buy. I think this accomplishment is mostly thanks to using hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment