Saturday, January 22, 2011

DIY dish washing liquid

I've been making my own dish washing liquid for handwashing dishes for a while now, and I realized I'd never shared the simple recipe. It involves just a couple basic ingredients: castile soap, water and essential oil. I found the recipe in one of my favorite domestic books, Clean Home Green Home, that I've referenced here before.

Although the original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of castile soap and 1/2 cup water, I find that combination leads to an overly watery dish washing soap, so today when I made more dish washing soap I used the remaining 1 cup of castile soap I had and a little less than 1/2 cup of water. Then I added 10 drops of lavender essential oil.

This old Seventh Generation plastic bottle has been the holding ground for all my homemade dish washing liquid, but then today while I was at Home Goods looking for a new rug (no luck so far!) and containers (of course) I found a cheap glass dispenser for $4.99 and immediately thought of another organizing blog I read. Although the author just wrote about how this glass dispenser has not worked well for her dish washing liquid, I thought I would give it a try because having to reach underneath the sink to get out the soap has been keeping me from cleaning the kitchen counters more often. (As a side note, this DIY dish washing liquid is an eco-friendly way to clean granite counter tops as well.)

I also picked up this cheap glass tray at Home Goods to make the dish washing soap and hand soap dispensers a little nicer looking. And, yes, I totally ripped this entire look off of IHeart Organizing.

And, even though I got about 11 hours of sleep last night, for some reason I am exhausted, so I think I may need to take a nap before tonight's neighborhood dinner party commences!

No comments:

Post a Comment