Monday, January 25, 2010

Tip 5: Dinner menus

This week I'm inspired to write about food. Last week was such a busy week at work that food mostly consisted of take out and leftovers. But this week is all about food. So, while I sit here drinking my sparkling wine (because it's Monday and that's what you do) and waiting for my onions to caramelize, let's get to...

Tip 5: Make a weekly dinner menu for four to five nights of meals

Why four to five, you ask? Because one or two nights you'll inevitably eat leftovers, and you likely have plans with friends or plans for some awesome cheap eats at least one or two other nights.

I'm a creature of habit when it comes to breakfasts, lunches and snacks. But I need different dinner choices each week. Before I started making a weekly menu, I found every evening a little stressful. How would I make a decision on the spot with so many choices, so few ingredients and so little direction? Now, my menu is my guide. Matt and I make the menu on Monday because that's grocery day. I hate going to Wegmans -- a.k.a. "my grocery store" that everyone else infiltrates -- on the weekends. Monday the shelves are fully stocked, the people are away, and I maximize efficiency. More on grocery lists later.

In case you're wondering what's on the menu for this week, here we go:

These are in no particular order, except for tonight's soup, which we decided to make now because we bought bread tonight too, and Matt is a bit of a fresh-bread snob.

We got all the ingredients for this week's dinners, snacks, lunches and breakfasts into three grocery bags. We spent $81.

Next up...making your grocery lists and stocking your pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment