Tip 3: Follow the 5-45 rule
Spend five minutes every day doing a little straightening, a little organizing, a little cleaning. Then, find that one time in the week where you have the motivation to spend 45 minutes on the same types of tasks.
During the week my five minutes mostly go toward putting away my lunch bag, school materials, and clothes, and cleaning up from dinner.
But Saturday morning is a whole different story. I turn into an organizing, cleaning and straightening machine. This morning for my 45 minutes I:
- emptied trash cans
- cleaned some lingering dishes from last night
- ran the dishwasher...or, Matt did
- wiped down the kitchen counters and the stove top
- watered the house plants (one time per week in the winter has been enough for my little troopers)
- microwaved the kitchen sponge (apparently this is a thing you should do that I am only now finding out about...kills bacteria!)
- cut up the button-down shirt Matt ripped a hole through Tuesday morning into pieces to serve as rags, and saved the buttons for a yet-to-be-determined button project -- perhaps sewing them onto a decorative pillow?
- discussed the weekend game plan with Matt
- responded to lingering e-mails
Next up....bonus post: bathing the dogs!