Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tip 55: Books on CD

Tonight is May book club, and I'm excited to get together with the ladies. We read A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby, but this time I tried something a little different....

Tip 55: Try "reading" a book on CD. Even if you have a short commute, you'll be surprised at how quickly you can get through an entire book.

You know I am a big fan of the public library, and this month when I was there to drop off some books, I realized I needed to look for this Hornby book as well. My library branch was all out of the book, but it did have a copy of the book on CD. I looked at the eight discs and thought, "Will I be able to get through this in time for book club?" The answer is yes, with time to spare.


My commute is only about 15 minutes each way, max, and now that my school's seniors have to decided to essentially stay home from school for this remaining six weeks they're legally expected to attend, I face even less morning traffic. With only about 30 minutes in the car each day Monday through Friday, I still managed to get through this book in less than two-and-a-half weeks.

At first I worried that I wouldn't be able to pay attention. I am a huge visual learner, and my only experience with audiobooks was during our cross country trip in 2008. Back then, though, we were spending many hours in the car, nearly enough time in some stretches to listen to an entire book on CD from one city to the next.

Now I am thinking I need to have a more sustained attempt at audiobooks. So, I just picked up my next audiobook, This Book is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All.


In the meantime, if you're staking out a Nick Hornby audiobook, I enjoyed listening to A Long Way Down on CD. At first I thought this book would be depressing, as it centers on four characters who meet as they are each preparing to commit suicide, but it wound up being way more engaging than I could have imagined. Listening to this book on CD was maybe more of an experience than reading it because the four main characters are played by four different actors, each with distinct voices, making this more like a radio play than a traditional audibook.

If you've got really limited time, though, and you want to read the best Nick Hornby book I've come across so far, might I recommend How to Be Good.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment