Monday, May 24, 2010

Computer recycling: goodbye, old friend

With very little clutter in our house, this weekend Matt and I engaged in a partial attempt to rid our house of a few lingering items. This included recycling my Dell Inspiron 2500 that my parents bought me in 2001 as I entered my third year of college.

It has been out of commission for several years, particularly after it stopped connecting to the internet. Sitting in the back of our office closet, when I got it out this weekend I was reminded of 1) its incredible weight and 2) the fact that it is not a widescreen laptop. Being several years removed from this device reminded me of what a dinosaur it is and confirmed my feeling that this computer would not be of much use to anyone.

So, I Googled "computer recycling Fairfax" and the first site was the right site. I came across this Electric Sunday event that I discovered around 9 a.m. Sunday. The best news: Electric Sunday, while not every Sunday, was happening yesterday just an hour after I heard about it. This, my friend, is the organization gods smiling down upon me.

We drove up to the I-66 Transfer Station (near the intersection of 29 and the Fairfax County Parkway, if you're trying to place it). The workers won't even allow you to get out of your car for "safety reasons," which is fine by me. I handed them my laptop and power cord and bid them farewell.

I still had my laptop case, designed for older, bulkier computers, so I posted it for free on Craigslist yesterday at 12:30 p.m. I give you this time because, by 1 p.m., I had received 10 emails from people who wanted the item. The first person to respond sent his girlfriend driving toward my house before I could blink. It was unprecedented insanity, but I am happy to have given away something that someone can (apparently) actually use.


(On a side note, I also gave away a Belkin iPod FM transmitter -- dozens of responses to that one -- and I sold those two floating shelves for $15 total. From posting to pick up, all three items were gone within four hours. Craigslist victory!)

Now I've freed up some space in a closet, helped someone out, and I can sleep at night knowing that my laptop is (hopefully) not going to wind up in a landfill in Asia, leaking chemicals into the water supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment