Thursday, May 20, 2010

Friends near and far

I read somewhere a while ago...maybe in this book titled The Girls from Ames...that women in their 20s face some difficult times in maintaining close relationships with their girlfriends. Why? We're busy dating, getting married, getting settled in our careers, getting settled in our homes. With so much in flux, it's easy to let conversations and time spent with friends decline.

This week I've had a chance to reconnect with old friends and strengthen new friendships as well. It's just a reminder that I need to put "make time for friends" consistently at the top of my to-do list. This is especially true of me during the school year. I'm good at having super focus when it comes to my job, to the point that, if I'm not careful, I can find myself saying, "Well, I will live my life during the summer." How many other teachers out there do the same thing? I am making a conscious effort to make my life more important than my job, and I'm getting better at it every year. In fact, this is increasingly my new talent.

On a totally unrelated note, I just have to say that I am loving my latest new blog on my list: What Would Emma Pillsbury Wear? Thank you, Zoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment