Friday, April 22, 2011

Organized giving

Lately I've felt like I've been surrounded by charitable giving campaigns that extend well beyond the response to the horrible tragedies in Japan. These campaigns have been smaller and arguably less important (they don't exactly involve life or death). For example: prom.

It started with the Pi run to raise money for Jefferson's class of 2013 prom.

But then a couple weeks ago my neighbor Laura contacted me because in the midst of her spring cleaning she'd stumbled upon several formal dresses she wanted to donate to a good cause. Matt and I mentioned in passing a year or two ago that someone in our school system was collecting used dresses for girls to wear to prom, but we had trouble tracking down the details. This year, though, thanks to a nudge from Laura and my own desire to free up some crucial real estate in my own closet, I did some sleuthing and found out that the program is still taking place (yet it's oddly under advertised, if you ask me). After Laura dropped off her goods with me and I raided my own closet, I stopped in at my parents' house to pick up my own prom dress and a couple other formal-yet-still-fashionable dresses from my younger years before dropping off all the booty in Alexandria.


If you're local, here are the details for the FCPS Princess for a Night (PFAN) program that I received from the event's organizer:

This spring, dry cleaned formal dresses, shoes, handbags, jewelry, unused make-up (for example, sample cosmetics), and “nice” shopping bags (for example from Macy’s or Neiman Marcus) will be
collected between Monday, April 4th and Friday, April 29th, 2011. We are especially in need of dresses for petite (size 0-2) and full-figured young ladies (sizes 18+). (Please do not donate velvet or wintery dresses, soiled items, outdated items, casual dresses, or items for mature women as they can not be used.) Donations can be dropped off at four locations:

1)      Gold’s Gym, 7770 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA  22306. Monday through Friday between 4:45 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., Saturday between 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Sunday between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
2)      Hitched Bridal Couture and Creative Planning Salon, 1523 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20007 (www.hitchedsalon.com). Tuesday through Thursday between noon and 8:00 p.m., Friday between 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., and Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
3)      West Potomac High School, Main Office (Entrance #1), 6500 Quander Road, Alexandria, Virginia  22307. Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
4)      T.C. Williams High School, Main Office, 3330 King Street, Alexandria, VA  22302. Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. 
If you know of a young lady in need of a dress, “shopping” and dress selection will take place at the following locations:

Mount Vernon High School 8515 Old Mount Vernon Road, Alexandria, VA 22309 on Saturday April 30th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and on Monday May 2nd from 2:15 to 5:00 p.m.
T.C. Williams High School, 3330 King Street, Alexandria, VA  22302 on Friday May 6th from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m., Saturday May 7th from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., on Friday May 20th from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m., and on Saturday May 21st from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
West Potomac High School, 6500 Quander Road, Alexandria, Virginia  22307 on Saturday, May 14th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Monday, May 16th from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. 
  
If you live outside the D.C. area but you still want to donate your old-but-still-fashionable dresses, there are two other places I'd recommend checking out: DonateMyDress.org and PrincessProject.org, or simply Google "prom dress donations" and your metropolitan area.

Thanks, Laura, for motivating me to follow through with the dress donations this year! I have officially crossed this task off my long-term to-do list.

All this prom giving has Matt and me seriously considering attending BOTH of our high schools' proms this year, which could actually mean that I might attend more than 31 proms in my lifetime.

1 comment: