Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Conquer the junk drawer

We all have them, and they can all get pretty unruly.

Too often I've found myself digging through that drawer at the corner of our kitchen island, furiously looking for a working pen while getting ready to jot down important information during a phone call, or wondering where all those stamps went when it's time to send out some mail.

After a while, for me, it was the cell phone chargers and headphones that really screamed out how badly this small but mighty nook of our home needed some organization. Somewhat miraculously, this also was about the time Jen at IHeart Organizing issued her junk drawer challenge. The photos of reader mini-projects on her post are totally inspirational, and there isn't much to be said here, so I'll let the photos do the talking.

Here's what I came up with after about 10 minutes and three inexpensive containers from Bed Bath and Beyond (all found in the kitchen gadget organization section of the store):

It's nice to know our spare keys, return address stamp, summer pool passes, mini flashlight and extra matches all have an organized home, but I'm most happy about the fact that when I open this drawer I no longer have to contain a tangle of cords.

Have you tamed your beast of a junk drawer? If you're looking for a place to begin organizing your home, this is an awesome place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment