Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A new tradition?

My husband and I love creating traditions. Because we grew up in non-mainstream religious traditions and as adults have lived a secular existence, we believe in making our own memories that often rest outside traditional American/religious holidays. This is why we celebrate 31 proms, Foxfield, New Year's at the beach. This past long weekend we may have started a new tradition: a mid-February tropical vacation.

When Matt's parents suggested a tropical celebratory trip to honor Matt's belated 30th birthday, we were ready to pack our bags. Now we've returned from five days and four nights in paradise recharged and ready to take on the world (once we sleep off last night's brutal midnight return and this morning's 5:30 work wake up we're still recovering from).


The purpose of this post is not to give you extensive details regarding our resort and its amenities -- though I would definitely recommend Hotel Riu Playacar in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, about 30 miles south of Cancun for your mid-winter tropical getaway, and I'm happy to share more of our experience if you'd like. Frankly, at this moment, I'm too relaxed to harp on the details. Here's a quick pictorial review.
The resort's main thoroughfare
The outdoor restaurants where I ate a lot of nachos with really spicy (in a good way) salsa
The pool and swim up bar (that I shockingly never swam up to, though I surely did consume from)
The awesomely awesome beach

I think that as long as we have the means and the time (at this point my 76 days of accumulated sick leave indicate I can probably take a day or two off each year -- something that up until now I've never done) there's a lot to be said for three or four nights somewhere tropical in February. It really can change your outlook on all the otherwise petty things in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Steph, this looks amazing! What a perfect new tradition to get your recharged for the rest of the year, you guys look great! Congratulations to Matt for making the Varsity team this year :)

    ReplyDelete