Thursday, February 17, 2011

Easy phyllo/fillo entertaining

Last night I hosted book club, and as host it's typical to make some extra food even though we still handle our book club food assortments pot-luck style. Also, last month I brought a pathetic block of brie with me as my book club contribution, so I really needed to redeem myself.

I made cookies, my favorite blue cheese dip with veggies and chips; I heated up some Trader Joe's lemongrass chicken spring rolls; and I arranged some chicken salad in phyllo dough cups. Emphasis on arranging here. I neither made the chicken salad nor the phyllo cups. I hadn't used this strategy in a while, and I thought I'd share it with you if you're looking for a fast way to prepare some finger foods.

I discovered these wonderful frozen phyllo/fillo dough cups about four years ago thanks to my cousin Melissa. She served them filled with chicken salad at her daughter's first birthday party, and they were such a hit that I knew I'd stumbled upon a savvy entertaining idea.

Each box comes with 15 shells, and at a few dollars a pop they make an affordable way to simplify your entertaining prep work. The instructions say to keep the shells frozen and then defrost before serving -- but these shells as so thin that just a few minutes is all you need.

Have you used these phyllo shells before? Have you used any other easy techniques for preparing appetizers lately?

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite appetizers uses these shells. Scoop a teaspoon of raspberry jam (or any kind you like) into the shell, then add teaspoon of Brie on top, and bake according to the directions on the box. Its especially good for a brunch-type gathering. People love these, they will disappear. Can't take credit for this recipe though, I got it from a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, this sounds awesome! I am definitely going to give that a try sometime. This also sounds vaguely familiar -- maybe you made it one time? Yum!

    ReplyDelete