Tuesday, July 6, 2010

DIY postcard art

I love to use big vacations as an opportunity to gather items that add personal touches to our house. I've been thinking a lot lately about what I'd like to pick up in Italy and Spain this summer. I don't have too many specific ideas, but I have been thinking about specific areas of our house that could use some more personality.

This got me thinking about what I've done already. Two years ago, toward the end of our last big trip -- one month driving cross country -- I picked up a packet of vintage-inspired National Parks postcards. I didn't know what I would do with them at first, but then I had an idea: DIY postcard art!

Somehow, without hardly trying, I managed to find a frame with nearly perfect dimensions for creating this postcard collage that is four postcards wide and four postcards long. (It took me no time to find this, compared to the seemingly ridiculous amount of time it took to find the perfect baskets for our entryway bench.)

I cut some light-green scrapbooking paper to completely cover the background and fill some empty gaps between postcards. I measured out the gaps between cards so they'd at least be uniform. I mounted everything together using double-sided tape.

Here's the result, hanging in our still-boring-white stairway between the second and third floor. At the top I have six postcards from some of our favorite cross-country National Parks stops: Rocky Mountain, Arches, Yosemite, Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Bandelier.

No comments:

Post a Comment