Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hallway bathroom plans

A couple years ago Matt was tired of his boring hallway bathroom -- "his" because it's the one he uses every day to shower and get ready.

His idea: paint it orange. Bright orange. Burn-your-retinas orange.

I did buy the paint and carry out the painting, all the time thinking, "Hmmm, I don't like this very much."

Now it's official: I really don't like this bathroom at all. Everything within it is fine and functional, so we are not going to do too much, but I do want to give it a face lift this summer. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. New paint color, obviously. Something much more neutral, perhaps in the light khaki family.
2. New light fixture. This track lighting screams 1985, even though the house was built in 2002.
3. New accessories -- perhaps some items we collect on our European vacation?

The inspiration for the room's new look will be this shower curtain I picked up at Bed Bath and Beyond.

It's something floral in a house lacking any floral accents like this, but it's not overly girly either. Plus, it goes with our neutral bath rugs and accessories that we will be keeping.

I'm excited to get started, and I'll show you what we did once it's complete!

1 comment:

  1. When you're done with the old light fixture... I saw on some show that they took a fixture like that, laid it flat, and used it as a dining room centerpiece, using the light bulb sockets as candle holders. Would also be good for a mantle like that.

    Love the shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete