Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tip 69: Check engine light, step 1

Last week, as my car hit about 200 miles shy of 100,000 miles, the check engine light lit up in the middle of my morning commute. After my husband arranged to have my car inspected that afternoon and we established a car-borrowing plan, I fortunately arrived at a quick fix. So, don't be like me, and follow this advice...

Tip 69: If your check engine light comes on, check your gas cap first. If your gas cap isn't on tight enough, it could cause the light to come on, and a quick tightening might be all that's needed to get that light to turn off!

This, of course, makes me feel like a pathetic weakling, knowing that I could have avoided an embarrassing trip to the mechanic if I had just put a little more muscle into securing my car's gas cap. But, the good news is that I didn't lose any money thanks to this dumb mistake. Yesterday when I filled up my gas tank, I made sure to turn my gas cap until it wouldn't turn anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad. I had the same thing happen to me. Fortunately, I had a mechanically-inclined friend who I consulted first (only because it was a weekend) before going to the shop. Now, you've probably spared someone else with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Tiffany! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, and yes, I hope my story spares someone else! That's great you have a mechanically inclined friend. While I don't really have one of those, we are fortunate to have a great mechanic down the street from us whom we trust, and he somehow nicely decided not to charge us for the test that ultimately determined I need to tighten my gas cap. (Of course, he probably didn't charge us because we've paid him thousands of dollars over the past five years, but that's another story!)

    ReplyDelete