Friday, March 18, 2011

Hacked email

If you're in my email contacts, you no doubt woke up this morning to a poorly worded email from me. If you know me, you know it's clearly not from me. Yup, for the first time in my life, my email got hacked. So, rather than sending a mass email to everyone who has received an email from me in the past five years, I thought it would be easier to post on here that I'm aware of what happened, I hope I fixed it, and I'm sorry.

This is especially ironic, seeing as nearly two weeks ago I officially gave up Facebook (not for Lent, for life!). You'd think without a Facebook account I would be more secure than the average internet user, but apparently not.

In memory of my beloved email account, please take this opportunity to change your email password. Bad people suck.

3 comments:

  1. If you're using Gmail, update your security settings with Google to the "two part authentication" this is really pretty easy to do, and it'll give you the ability to "disable" your Droid's Google access if you lose it for example. So beyond changing your password, Google will send you an SMS to your phone (or a back up phone number) when you log in, and will save this token for 30 days if you day it to. If you have unlimited SMS it's certainly worth the peace of mind:

    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/advanced-sign-in-security-for-your.html

    Seriously, though I think this is one of the best features Google has implemented in a while.

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm more upset that we haven't exchanged an e-mail in over five years than whether I had received some spam. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Mark! I think I will make you this blog's official Technology Expert, so you must accept the intense responsibility that comes with that duty. I will check out the settings you recommend.

    Jason -- yeah, you must not be in my email contacts, seeing as I don't believe I have your email anymore! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete