Saturday, November 27, 2010

Experiments in stainless steel cleaning, take 1

Last month when Matt and I made the decision to splurge on some stainless steel appliances, I did have one concern: How would we keep them clean? I've heard plenty of stories of people complaining about how stainless steel shows every little imperfection (which, of course, sounds like a White Whine).

Fortunately, I have a husband who is more cleanliness obsessed than me, and before I even had a chance to bring up the topic, Matt had already purchased these Method Steel for Real Wipes.

The verdict? I'm pretty satisfied.

We've only used them a few times, thanks to the fact that we have a relatively low-traffic fridge, with just two clean adults in our household. Still, our fridge does show fingerprints and sticky food residue, so I've found myself reaching for these once, maybe twice, every two weeks.

The trick to using these wipes appropriately is to move your hand in the direction of the grain. Our stainless grain is horizontal, and vertical swipes clearly show. Additionally, another trick is patience. The first time I used these wipes, I was a bit dismayed because I could see the residue the wipes left behind. Give the wipes about 30 seconds to do their magic, and any leftover residue should disappear.

Streak-free and ready to party

Overall, I like Method products, though I do recognize that despite the company's best environmental efforts, disposable wipes, like paper towels, can only be so green. So, I will continue to experiment with other options, but I'm pretty happy with this product.

In the meantime, do you have any stainless steel secrets to share?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've used wipes too and they've been okay, but I've also had good luck with a microfiber cloth and any sort of window cleaner.
    www.creatingbetterhabits.com

    ReplyDelete