Sunday, October 31, 2010

A pumpkin-carving good time

When it comes to pumpkin carving, I have minimal experience. I have carved about four pumpkins in my life, including the one I carved today. I think it's fun to have our pumpkin reflect (pun intended) something about our little family. With Matt's 30th birthday six days away, I figured this year's pumpkin should be a tribute to that (scary) milestone.

I finally put to use some pumpkin carving tools from Crate and Barrel that Matt's parents generously gifted me with a couple years ago. Up until now I had used just a kitchen knife (probably a bad idea) and I'd never experimented with the wide world of sculpting with a v-cutter in addition to carving. The good news: it is a lot easier to carve a pumpkin with designated pumpkin-carving tools. All told, it took me about 45 minutes to prepare and carve my pumpkin. The other good news: now our house smells like roasted pumpkin seeds -- yum!

As I get ready for the little trick-o-treaters of our neighborhood, I'll let today's photos do the talking.


Hopefully our little pumpkin will make it through this upcoming Saturday when we have some friends over for a low-key 30th birthday party for Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment