Sunday, October 24, 2010

Happy thoughts: fall edition

After a totally exhausting week at work, I found a number of reasons this weekend to be happy and to stave off my desire to return to my open letter to myself.

First of all, in appliance news: Saturday morning was huge. Within three hours, the following took place:

1) We sold our old fridge on Craigslist for $250 to a woman who is moving in 6 months. Her fridge broke, and rather than dropping $750 or more on a new one, she decided ours was good enough (which seems like the perfect description).

2) Our replacement doors for our new fridge got delivered (and they are beautiful).

3) Our new dishwasher arrived two hours before the four-hour window the delivery people quoted us over the phone, so we didn't have to wait around all day.

Here's what I love about our new dishwasher: the manual comes with two pages of pictures outlining in painstaking detail all the ways you can load dishes. Some of the racks fold down, which is a nice feature, too. We still haven't run the dishwasher, but the man who installed our dishwasher tested it and had to lean really close to it to see if it was working because it is SILENT when it operates. Mission accomplished! I really feel like our kitchen is complete. You've come a long way since March, baby.

Old vs. new

Ain't she a beauty?

I love the hidden controls and all the space inside

Second of all, the landscaping in our front and back yards are working out great right now as well. Specifically, we officially have grass growing in the back yard. It sprouted up the other day, fitting perfectly into the 10-14 day germination period predicted by the friendly garden center employees. Now we just have to hope that after it goes dormant later this fall it will come back even stronger in the spring. Assuming that because new grass is shooting up that should also mean there's a developing root system, I'm hopeful now that all signs point to yes, we should have some real grass ahead of us.

Our tree in our front yard is about the prettiest it's ever been in the four years we've lived here.

Finally, I spent some time yesterday at the mall and today at Home Depot putting together costumes for Matt and me to wear this upcoming weekend. I'm not going to spoil the fun here, but I will tell you that we're dressing up with a big group of our friends from college as characters from one famous story. I like to wear homemade costumes, but that also means they require more work, and they're not quite done. I'll have to whip out some spray paint and some safety pins this week and get to work.

It's like late-October Thanksgiving around here!

1 comment:

  1. Two things:
    1) you will find those dishwasher hidden buttons come in especially handy when you have a toddler who likes "helping" by pushing buttons to start a dishwasher that only has two items in it.
    2) I am loving your "new" kitchen - but what about all of the items you guys kept on the doors of your fridge? how am I going to stalk your upcoming social events without taking a glance at your fridge?

    ReplyDelete