Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kansas City here we come

Once again, dear readers, I seek your advice.

Here's the end of the story:
Anyone who has lived in or traveled to Kansas City: what are some downtown, high-school-kid-friendly eateries you'd recommend? What about high-school-kid-friendly sightseeing? Any advice appreciated!

Here's the beginning of the story:
So, what's one thing that's been keeping me busy lately? Besides planning lessons, grading papers, going to lots of meetings, advising my newspaper and broadcast students after school...and the 40 other things I do on a daily basis at work, I'm also working with another teacher to plan a trip for 29 students and 3 adults to Kansas City, Missouri for four days next month. We'll be attending an annual scholastic journalism convention. The location changes every year, but the concept is generally the same: spend a few days with a bunch of high school students; have students get excited about journalism through various convention activities; make some time for sightseeing.

Planning trips such as these is absolutely draining. There are so many details, and it is not cost effective for us to work with a travel agent. (Case in point: our county's travel agent said the best airfare she could find from D.C. to Kansas City was $480...we beat that by a long shot.) Although it takes hours upon hours to plan these trips for my students, I get a great pay off: my students come back from the trip excited to be a part of the publications staff, they have lots of new ideas, and the program continues strong for yet another year. Added bonus: my students are pretty neat people whom I genuinely like.

After a jam-packed day at work with today's latest newspaper deadline, the yearbook adviser and I got together to hash out final details for the trip. Now the trip is pretty much ready to go minus two small details: sightseeing and food.

We are not going to plan out every meal in advance, but I would like to know of some options. Similarly, we don't have to finalize sightseeing this second, but we need to within the next week. Here's what I know: 1) Kansas City is known for its barbecue; 2) Hallmark is based out of Kansas City; 3) there's a college basketball experience interactive museum-y type thing somewhere in the city; 4) the Steamboat Arabia is on display; 5) there's a place called the Plaza. I realize this is all vague -- I haven't had time to do much research on this.

Thanks for your tips!

1 comment:

  1. When i was in High school( i was a senior) my FBLA team went to the Hallmark Museum.

    The Plaza is an outside mall, very nice and lush. They have things from Armani Exchange to American Eagle. They also have alot of little boutiques and different restaurants including my favorite, cheesecake factory.

    If you've never been to Panera, I would say try to go at least once. They have delicious everything, it might be a little pricey, but i think it's worth it.

    The Hallmark also has a mall and inside they have a Crayola Cafe, it's cute, but not something all teenagers would like.

    I also loved the Art Museum in KC, but i haven't been since i was in the 6th grade.

    I love love love Kansas City, but we moved to Idaho 3 years ago :(. I only get to visit KC once a year, so reminiscing is making me homesick

    ReplyDelete