Thursday, March 15, 2012

Leave of absence

No, I'm not leaving this blog, but yesterday I did make an official decision: I won't be teaching next year.


Long before becoming pregnant (really, really long before, like when we were getting married in August 2006) Matt and I discussed how awesome it would be to save money so I could take a full year off work when we had a baby.

Then, instead of having a baby in April like I would have "planned," I had a January baby, bringing up the question of whether or not I should simply take off January to August and then return for the following school year, putting Natalie in full-time daycare.

Right now the thought of daycare freaks me out.

And on a teacher's salary a lot of my income would go toward paying for daycare.

And we have the money saved for me to take the year off.

And Natalie will only be a baby once.

It's the last point that I kept coming back to. Friends would ask, rightly so, "What will you do for baby #2? Do you want to take a year off now?" But chalk this up my "enjoy it while I can" philosophy. I don't know what the future holds. I don't know if I'll be able to have another baby. All I know is that I have a baby now and I need to embrace this time in our lives.

So now, this weight lifted off our collective shoulders, we're all smiles.

3 comments:

  1. Sooo happy for you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you nat and Matt. I'm proud of you too for saving money and being dedicated to allow your family to have this gift. The one thing I've learned since becoming a mom 5 months ago is time flies with babies in your heart and home and there is no money in the world that is worth having instead of a mothers time with her child. I say go on and have awesomerod #2 while out on leave ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome. Congrats on being able to take time off to spend with your baby.

    ReplyDelete