Saturday, December 18, 2010

How to organize gift bags

Tis the season of bags. Lots of them. Everywhere.

No doubt as you finish (or start, as the case may be) your holiday shopping, you'll next be grabbing all the wrapping items you can find. If you're like me and most people I know, you already have a ton of gift bags lying around your home, waiting to be re-gifted. So, time to get organized.

Although I love perfectly wrapped presents more than just about anything else in the world, I recognize there is a time and a place for re-using old gift bags, and this is of course way more environmentally friendly to boot.

We have approximately 70 gift bags in our home, so I rounded them up and organized them by type.

Our groups divided up nicely into these eight categories:
  • super small bags
  • medium-sized bags I like
  • medium-sized bags that are more plain/boring
  • medium birthday/balloon/celebratory bags
  • large bags
  • wine bottle bags
  • Christmas bags
  • non-Christmas other-holiday bags
I used to have a bunch of wedding bags, but over four years into our marriage and about 35 friends' weddings later, our supply has been depleted.


A few rubber bands transformed the neatly organized piles into neatly organized packs.

A clear plastic under-the-bed container I've held on to from my childhood became the free carrying case for our newly organized gift bags. I keep my pile of medium bags I like at the front of the container so it's easily accessible. Holiday bags can stay in the back.

For now, this solution works for us. Of course, at some point I will need to do more than just simply re-gift gift bags. I'll need a more creative solution to what could become gift-bag overload. Here's a list of 10 ways to re-use gift bags, some of which may work for you.

Have a happy and calm Saturday, especially if you're planning to do any shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment