Thursday, October 24, 2013

Discard of your old meds this weekend

My pregnancy nesting urge has finally kicked. For baby #1 I had the urge to nest from the moment I found out I was pregnant. This time I had to wait until I was solidly into my third trimester before the desire to clean, purge, and prepare our house hit me. Fortunately, I'm starting to really get into this, and I have a renewed sense of energy.

The other day I woke up early and decided to clean out our master bathroom medicine cabinet in the 15 minutes or so I wanted to kill before officially starting my day. I had not gone through the medicine cabinet in many years. Though I am not a stickler for expiration dates for medications, foods, and the like, the situation in our medicine cabinet was a little ridiculous. The average pill bottle in there expired some time around 2008. We moved into our house in 2006. So, most of those bottles have been sitting there the majority of the time we've lived here.

I filled up a small shopping bag with about 20 bottles of medications, both over-the-counter and prescription, as well as mostly empty old vitamin bottles. Then I thought to myself, "Now I'm going to be stuck with this bag of bottles for several months before I figure out how to properly dispose of them."

Enter my mother, who shares with me later that day somewhat by coincidence that she received a notice in the mail that our local government is participating in a medication take-back day -- specifically, Saturday, October 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. is National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. You can enter your zip code here and find a location (hopefully) near you. Keep your medications in their bottles. Just take your name off any prescription bottles you turn in. This initiative is designed to help protect the environment as well as discourage prescription drug abuse (though your local police department engaged in this work should accept both prescription and non-prescription medications).


One of my greatest joys in life -- and no doubt my greatest organizationally focused joy in life -- is purging our home of items we no longer have use for. Medications that are 5-6 years past their expiration date rank high on that list. So, come Saturday we'll properly rid our house of one more bag, and maybe you can take a few minutes to participate, too, if your medicine cabinet was as crazy outdated as ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment