Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nursery progress: Quick ottoman update

For a while now we've been at a nursery progress stand still. There isn't really anything that needs to be done, but there are some little side projects I can accomplish as we wait on the baby's debut. The easiest of the remaining little projects involved reupholstering the $50 brown ottoman we bought at Target last month.

If you're on the Target website and you search for ottomans, you'll get over 1,000 results. This is no joke. Lots and lots to sort through. I found two light green microsuede ottomans that could have potentially worked in the nursery, but one cost $150 and the other was also over $100. Plus, I couldn't tell if either would be a perfect match to the color of the nursery recliner, so I figured after paying for shipping and then likely having to deal with the hassle of returning the furniture it wasn't worth the risk.

Instead while at the Target store Matt and I bought a circular brown fabric-covered storage ottoman that is the perfect height for the chair and the perfect general size for our relatively small nursery space. I wasn't in love with the ottoman's aesthetics, but I figured this was an opportunity to buy a staple gun and get to work.

I took leftover fabric from the nursery curtains and originally planned to reupholster the entire ottoman, but once I reupholstered the ottoman lid I thought the less-is-more statement worked quite well.

Because I've never upholstered anything before, I once again turned to Young House Love for advice and found this super easy tutorial for reupholstering a cushion, which is essentially what I was doing when I reupholstered the ottoman lid.

So, I went ahead and stapled the leftover curtain fabric at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions on the back of the ottoman lid. Then between each initial staple I performed a series of simple folds and added three more evenly spaced staples. The trickiest part of performing this task is keeping the fabric as taut as possible.

Eventually the entire lid was wrapped with too much leftover fabric, which I simply trimmed off before putting the lid back on the ottoman.

I'm satisfied with the less-is-more approach to the ottoman redesign. I think it gives it some style and makes it more integrated with the nursery decor without going overboard.

Although I could still add a mobile, some floating shelves, and a better solution for getting our additional light and humidifier to fit into our small space, for now I feel like the nursery is done...and that means tomorrow I'll share with you the big reveal!

No comments:

Post a Comment